Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Us vs. Them

I ran across a blog the other day written by an American midwestern college student who is living in Germany. She was making comments - completely correct - about the funny things that some Germans do. Having lived there myself for 3 years, Germany doesn't feel "foreign" to me anymore - and while I found her observations amusing, they were definately written from the perspective of an outsider.

Which made me wonder - is that how my blog would look to someone who has lived in Japan for a longer period of time? The answer to that is probably yes. I don't know if that is because I haven't been here as long, because I generally do my work and my socializing in English, or if Japan truly is "more different."

My new goal, before I leave Japan, is that it no longer feels "foreign" to me.

- LS

1 comment:

teahouse said...

It's amazing how quickly you can get used to a new culture. Even after spending only 2 weeks in Eastern Europe last year, I came home and New York City felt foreign!