Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Japanese Public Holidays...

...Are great! I know I have complained about the fact that people here don't take their personal vacation, but that must equal out somehow with the fact that we have all sorts of crazy days off. Besides the big 3 of New Years, Obon, and Golden Week - each a full week - there are all sorts of Mondays and Fridays (and random Tuesday and Wednesdays) as well.

Luckily, yesterday was one of those Monday holidays. Just one week back after New Years and already an extra vacation day! What holiday? Well, as my intense 30 seconds of research just uncovered, it was "Adult Day," where everyone turning 20 celebrates their becoming an adult by getting dressed up in fancy kimonos and going to the temple/shrine.

This was especially lucky for me as I went snowboarding for the first time on Sunday and could not move yesterday. Seriously. Could. Not. Move. It is better today, but don't ask me to pass you anything. Yeah, thats right. My arms hurt. Go figure.

I rocked the snowboarding though. A natural. And the bruises on my knees (and left ass cheek) prove it. ;)

-LS

1 comment:

teahouse said...

Oooh, snowboarding. I'm jealous. Yeah, I can imagine that the winter sports in Japan are awesome!